Lorazepam vs diazepam: Both are the common medications that help to treat anxiety disorders, which is one of the most common among the other mental health disorders. Both the medications fall under the category of benzodiazepines. These work by enhancing the activity of Gamma Amino Butyric acid in the brain (GABA).
What role does GABA play?
The GABA chemical is an inhibitory chemical that can block certain signals, boost mood. It also promotes a sense of calm.
Food Drug Administration has categorized these drugs under Schedule Four. And like other medications, these drugs do carry a risk of dependence and abuse. Therefore, it is advisable to use them as a short-term therapy, and that too under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
What is the main point of difference between diazepam and Lorazepam?
- The utmost line of difference between lorazepam and diazepam is that Diazepam can stay longer in the body than lorazepam. Lorazepam is the common name of Ativan has a half-life of about 18 hours, on the other hand, valium has a half-life of 48 hours. Based on the duration criteria, both the medications, doctors describe them as intermediate-acting and long-acting medications.
- Both medications have different metabolism and processing mechanisms. Lorazepam is metabolized in the liver by a process get as glucuronidation whereas diazepam is metabolized in the liver with the help of cytochrome enzymes.
- For instance, there are different strengths of these medications available in the market. Different Strenghts of lorazepam are 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg. Along with the tablets form, lorazepam also comes as an oral solution and a solution for injection. On the other hand, if we do talk about diazepam, the different strengths of this medication are 2 mg, 5 mg, and 10 mg.
- Also, there is a standard dose prescribed by health professionals. A standard dose of Ativan is 2-3 mg, and it is advisable for you to take it 2-3 times a day. However, if we talk about diazepam (valium) its standard dose is 2-10 mg it is usually taken 2-4 times a day. It is advisable to take these medications for 4 months.
- Ativan is advisable for Children and adults who are 12 years old and older, on the other hand, adults, children, and infants 6 months and older prefer taking diazepam.
Doctors advise taking these medications in what conditions?
1. Lorazepam and diazepam both act as anxiolytics and help to reduce anxiety symptoms such as when overwhelming stress and difficulty in thinking clearly. Also, the approval from the FDA suggests that this help to treat anxiety and other disorders that are in association with anxiety. For example, panic disorders and panic attacks.
2. Like other benzodiazepines, doctors advise it for treating seizure disorders and epilepsy. In addition, they can also use as a premedication before surgery or for sedation.
3. FDA recommends that both diazepam and lorazepam helps to treat alcohol withdrawal symptoms and muscle spasms. In addition, it helps to treat insomnia caused by anxiety.
Diazepam vs Lorazepam which is stronger?
For instance, if we do compare it with a placebo or no medication. Both lorazepam and diazepam are effective in treating anxiety. E.g, The effectiveness of benzodiazepine depends upon the condition. For which purpose you are using it, is there any consumption of other medications, and treatments in the past.
According to results derived from clinical trials, both lorazepam and diazepam have been able to cure 134 anxious patients in over four weeks. However, lorazepam is more effective in patients, who observe worse symptoms initially. Also, according to the data from the network meta-analysis group midazolam, lorazepam and diazepam help to treat status epileptics, which is a severe prolonged seizure in children. Along with it, data compiled from 16 different trials, doctors conclude that midazolam and lorazepam were more effective than diazepam oral.
Along with it, you should also take medical advice from the doctor or a healthcare provider. He will conduct a thorough medical evaluation that will help to determine the severity of the condition. It will also help you to rule out the other possible health conditions.
List some of the common side effects of lorazepam Vs Diazepam?
Lorazepam and diazepam like other benzodiazepines have the ability to affect the Central Nervous System. For instance, the most common side effects of lorazepam are sedation, dizziness, weakness, unsteadiness and loss of coordination. The most common side effects of Diazepam (Valium ) are drowsiness, fatigue, muscle weakness and loss of coordination.
Serious side effects include respiratory depression, shallow breathing and medical emergency.
What are the warning signs of lorazepam vs diazepam?
It is advisable not to take opioids with benzodiazepines. Their use should avoid. Because when you take benzodiazepines and opioids together, it can increase the risk of respiratory depression, coma and even death. Patients are under keen observation when they are taking opioids and drugs together.
Lorazepam UK 1mg, 2mg and diazepam UK, 5mg, 10mg do fall under the category of schedule 4 drugs. Those who have a past history of alcohol and substance abuse are at a higher risk of dependence and abuse. Signs and symptoms of a benzodiazepine overdose may include loss of coordination, dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension), respiratory depression and coma.